The Phoenix Learning Package (PLP) is a series of four-level worktexts that refines and reinforces the reading skills of high schoolers. It offers a developmental reading program that enables high school students to master the reading competencies they acquired in the elementary grades.
Level/s: 7, 8, 9, and 10
Train your students to read rapidly with comprehension!
The worktexts can be used in two different ways:
- As part of a lesson in the regular reading and/or Communication Arts Program
- As the main text in an extensive course for mastering the four fundamental reading skills
Each PLP worktext is organized into five major reading areas—each developing a cluster of important subskills needed for an effective reading course.
- Word perception skills enable students to use phonetic, contextual, and structural analyses. These skills build special vocabulary and use effective strategies in word building.
- Study and library skills teach students how to locate and gather information. These skills help the students select, recall, evaluate data, and organize and synthesize information.
- Comprehension skills help students identify main ideas, understand cause-and-effect relationships, determine time line sequence, and summarize and outline data.
- Literary appreciation skills enrich students’ knowledge as students differentiate literary types; identify tone, mood, and atmosphere; analyze humor; and evaluate critical and creative writing.
- Oral interpretation or reading with expression skills intend to develop the students’ ability to read with expression and interpret literary pieces with proper phrasing or chunking, movements, and expressions. These skills provide the teachers with new literary materials and interesting selections for finger plays, Jazz Chants, Speech Choir, dramatic oral reading, and Chamber or Readers Theater presentation.
Grade 7: 2017
Grade 8: 2017
Grade 9: 2014
Grade 10: 2014